SMG Relay failure

Come here for anything about BMW Cars

Moderators: benny, charles, dollarmen, hkz4, omak, teamtung, sbpang, E36328

SMG Relay failure

Postby zard » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Symptoms:
yellow gear light comes on intermittently
eventually cannot engage gear at all (lucky for me it finally failed when i was at home)
the part seems to decay until finally it gives up.

Solution (look up SMG relay, has picture here):
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=231113

SMG relay (salmon colored, located in the relay box on top of the drivers side shock tower)
PN: 12631742690

Went out & bought one this morning, just installed it, everything back to normal. Seems to be pretty common in the US

:D
zard

Re: SMG Relay failure

Postby omak » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:31 am

Easiest fix!
Favourite Quote: "你哋邊條腸粉推我? ? !"
omak
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby cheungdhkg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:29 pm

does this part apply to all models with SMGs (not only M3)
cheungdhkg

Postby omak » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Not sure. What's your ride?
Favourite Quote: "你哋邊條腸粉推我? ? !"
omak
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby Eric Wong » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks, zard. Do you mind to share with me a bit more about this problem? My E46 323i got a very similar trouble: the yellow warning light comes on occasionally and I could feel the higher gears are going when it stays on. When re-start, it will go away. You know, on the dash board, there are 2 indicators on top of the speedometer and the tachometer which will turn red when the car is turned on, and turn off once ignited. In my 323i, the indicator on the right (like an oil can) will change to yellow once I engage in gear and it will disappear in 10 to 15 seconds. Do you think it is related to the SMG relay?
Eric Wong

Postby digi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 am

Eric Wong wrote:Thanks, zard. Do you mind to share with me a bit more about this problem? My E46 323i got a very similar trouble: the yellow warning light comes on occasionally and I could feel the higher gears are going when it stays on. When re-start, it will go away. You know, on the dash board, there are 2 indicators on top of the speedometer and the tachometer which will turn red when the car is turned on, and turn off once ignited. In my 323i, the indicator on the right (like an oil can) will change to yellow once I engage in gear and it will disappear in 10 to 15 seconds. Do you think it is related to the SMG relay?

just go buy the Salmon color relay and change it as it cost like nothing. With the car at this age running SMG, even if there is no issue I would definitely advise to change it straight away.

If that does not solve your issue, you have some other problem.
ImageImageImage
digi
I'm crazy with BMW

Return to General BMW Car Discussion