new

Come here for anything about BMW Cars

Moderators: benny, charles, dollarmen, hkz4, omak, teamtung, sbpang, E36328

new

Postby honzy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 am

Hi All,

posted previously to find dirt on a ride but couldn't find much, ended up picking up a completely different ride.

will be picking her up today - a e46 m3, blk on blk

as this will be my first bmw, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

does everyone go bk to HKBMW for service? any other preferred garages? Also, recalls! i know BMW in europe and US have done a few recalls for the E46 M3 - ignition coils, fuel pump, and subframe (correct me if im wrong)? they probably aren't done, where's a good place to get it done without paying a ridiculously high cost? ps, my car is grey import but brandnew on the reg, does this mean BMW won't service it?

can't wait to drive, see you all around and many thanks in advance!!
e46 m3
carbon blk/blk
honzy

Re: new

Postby Small Tomato » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:48 am

Hi, I think you should call to any of the BMW service centre to verify if they are going to service your car.
Those recall isn't very popular here in HK, but I am uncertain about the origin of your new car.
If you are uncertain when is the last service done to your car, you should have your car do a Service II at BMW centre since it will fix the current known recall (before the facelift, that should be any M3 that's build before '03), which is related to the engine's durability.
Small Tomato
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby honzy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 pm

great advice, thanks for that.

just called TKW BMW service center and they will service my car. Found out that the car is direct frm germany, imported brandnew by the first owner. that's about all the history i can find.

Has anyone changed the cassette deck? i know hk m3s all come with tv monitors, has anyone upgraded that to a double din? my cassette deck is awful, that'll be my v first mod!!
e46 m3
carbon blk/blk
honzy

Postby littleghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:01 pm

hi, welcome. hope to see you soon when SMD.

i am driving E46 m3 too.
don't be a chicken
littleghost
Bimmer Super Fans

Postby littleghost » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm

but want to tell you, the inspection II is not that good. they will only tell you many things need to fix ( but not really ). which will make you not feel good. of coz those will cost you a lot of money. for me, i will say just go to your well known garage for check up is good enough. if you need advice which garage is good , Ken Chu willing to serve you. you can ask our member " ackenny " .
don't be a chicken
littleghost
Bimmer Super Fans

Postby digi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 am

the only real thing you need BMW HK to do for your ///M is valve adjustment which is a part of inspection II. All the other stuff can be done by competent independent BMW garages in HK. As mentioned ACKenny should be able to take care of you there. He's a dedicated member here so you get peace of mind. Also, he's a BMW nut. :lol:

Oh, nearly forgot, WELCOME!!
ImageImageImage
digi
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby babe chris » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm

show us some pics from your lovely ride?
E36 M3 3.0 Dakar coupe & E46 M3 Imola cabrio ( manuals ) - all gone
Currently E36 M3 3.0 sedan & E46 330 touring
babe chris
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby honzy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks for all the info. would love to join the next smd!

haven't gotten a checkup for the car yet but so far she runs beautifully. here she is:

e46 m3
carbon blk/blk
honzy

Postby E36328 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 pm

did u even bring it to a trusted garage to check for possible damage or "LEGO" condition before you bought this car?
E36328
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby honzy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 pm

yea, i brought it to "mah lum" in tuen wan to check it before buying. report came out pretty clean except for a couple minor fixes in the rear quarter panel.

do you know some additional information??
e46 m3
carbon blk/blk
honzy

Postby E36328 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:10 am

no, it's just good sense to check it out before buying. But that garage that you mentioned is not my definition of "trusted garage" :roll:
E36328
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby honzy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:10 am

agreed, can never be too sure when buying second hand cars nowadays.

rgding ML, any bad experiences or grief you'd like to share? also, any recommendation for a different shop? its probably too late, now that i've already bought the car, but i wouldn't mind knowing if i hit the jackpot with a lego. thx!
e46 m3
carbon blk/blk
honzy

Postby hkz4 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 am

honzy wrote:agreed, can never be too sure when buying second hand cars nowadays.

rgding ML, any bad experiences or grief you'd like to share? also, any recommendation for a different shop? its probably too late, now that i've already bought the car, but i wouldn't mind knowing if i hit the jackpot with a lego. thx!

Just freely enjoy every moment you spend with the car! :D

Don't let cynical pessimists affect you otherwise...
hkz4
I'm crazy with BMW

Postby honzy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm

so far so good. been enjoying every moment and have already driven to the airport and back, also a few trips in traffic and in the rain.

surprising, the m feels like a much smaller car than it actually is. coming from a tiny japanese 2 seater, i was expecting a whale of a car but the m3 sits very well on the road wtih minimal body roll when taking corners and roundabouts. maybe tha'ts a sign i'm driving too slowly

i think garage/shops often gain or lose business on a word of mouth basis so i value every opinnion. but this is also how bad rep spreads too quickly. thats why i value real experiences shared by fellow members rather than purely word of mouth.

o yea, gas mileage is really not bad! i can almost say good value for the money!
e46 m3
carbon blk/blk
honzy

Postby E36328 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm

hkz4 wrote:
honzy wrote:agreed, can never be too sure when buying second hand cars nowadays.

Just freely enjoy every moment you spend with the car! :D

Don't let cynical pessimists affect you otherwise...

Hey you! Who u calling cynical pessimist? :mrgreen:

It's just better to check out the car BEFORE you buy. Guess it's too late now.... but maybe the car is good.
E36328
I'm crazy with BMW

Next

Return to General BMW Car Discussion